Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to File Table Overflow - FreeBSD

Collapse
Posted by Robert O'Gwynn on

I've encountered the same problem with my initial install, only with FreeBSD instead of Linux.

Actually, I ran flat out of available open files (pstat -T showed me 1300+, which was the upper limit at defined by the kernel compile). I recompiled the kernel with "MAXUSERS 512" -- up from the default "MAXUSERS 32" -- and now have 16424 available open files

I rebooted the machine earlier today (for unrelated reasons) and since boot some 4 hours ago, I am up to 890 open files. I think my previous problem was compounded by the fact that sendmail was NOT configured (properly or otherwise).

However, every time I load an ACS page from this server, my open file count increments by 2-4 files. Usually, after a bit, it will decrement by 1-2 files. Being a world-class idiot, I have no clue what's being opened or not opened, and pstat -f tells me bupkus.

I guess I get to look forward to my machine slowly using up its max open files, tank the machine, and I get to reboot, unless somebody else with a clue can answer this