Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Article on ACS x Zope

Collapse
Posted by Chris McDonough on
<blockquote> You know ... web sites just aren't that hard. I think that might be
</blockquote>

<blockquote> Zope's major problem.
</blockquote>

I would agree... for someone who just wants a simple website, Zope is probably not for them.  But I don't think that's out target audience any more than it is ACS'.  HTML designers don't care too much about what's on the back end.

<blockquote> The ACS has lots of parts but is simple. If Zope is as complex and
</blockquote>

<blockquote> hard to understand as you indicate, perhaps the creators, not
</blockquote>

<blockquote> potential users, should be seeking enlightenment...
</blockquote>

I guess the hardest part to get over the hump with is understanding object orientation and some of the finer points of Zope like acquisition.  We're still building the tools that allow people to not have to understand these things.  We are trying to simplify, document and focus on less general problems (ala content management).  I suppose doing these things would be considered "seeking enlightenment."  I'm sort of glad, however, that a lot of time has been spent on the architecture thus far as it sure makes it a lot easier when you have a lot of interfaces you can write to reliably.  Now we just need to expose them.  😊

For the mean time, however, until good, comprehensive documentation is produced, the best I can do is offer my thoughts about how to begin to understand the basics of the architecture, and hope people get interested; thus the article.  It's not really an article that takes a high-handed tone, despite the title.  I'd recommend you read it if you're interested...