Forum OpenACS Development: Re: cvs woes

Collapse
8: Re: cvs woes (response to 1)
Posted by tammy m on
Hi again,

Well it looks like existing files were modified to me:

tammy@goodchild:tcl] cvs log aa-test-procs.tcl

RCS file: /cvsroot/openacs/packages/acs-automated-testing/tcl/aa-test-procs.tcl,v
Working file: aa-test-procs.tcl
head: 1.1
branch: 1.1.1
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
        OACS-4-6-3: 1.1.1.3
        release-2003-11-18__branch: 1.1.1.2.0.2
        release-2003-11-18__root: 1.1.1.2
        upgrade-4-6-1: 1.1.1.2
        initial-4-6-1: 1.1.1.2
        OACS-4-6-1: 1.1.1.2
        current: 1.1.1.1
        initial: 1.1.1.1
        OACS-initial-install: 1.1.1.1
        OpenACS: 1.1.1
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 4;     selected revisions: 4
description:
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 2003/03/25 22:58:18;  author: nsadmin;  state: Exp;
branches:  1.1.1;
Initial revision
revision 1.1.1.3
date: 2003/12/01 21:46:45;  author: nsadmin;  state: Exp;  lines: +38 -1
Upgrade to OpenACS 4.6.3 from openacs.org
revision 1.1.1.2
date: 2003/03/26 00:07:25;  author: nsadmin;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
Upgrade to OpenACS 4.6.1 from openacs.org
revision 1.1.1.1
date: 2003/03/25 22:58:18;  author: nsadmin;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0
Initial install OpenACS 4.6 from aufrecht.org
=============================================================================
Too bad, I really preferred the "delete by hand, presto like it never happened" version of the recovery process;(

I still don't understand a few things. Like how come the files got imported to the right place in the directory hierarchy when I imported them the wrong way?! But anyway...

You must have noticed the import problem before you merged any changes from the vendor branch to the Head, right?

yes. I have not merged anything back to head.

If so, then keep in mind here, that this problem, if it is present, probably only exists because if you have not ever modified those old good files on the Head from when you first vendor imported them, when you vendor import a "new" version (in this case, your bogus misplaced import) CVS helpfully immediately updates the file on the Head as well because since it was never modifed, the Head and the vendor branch are still the same thing at that point for that file.

No I never modified any acs-automated-testing code at all. So let me understand this, the HEAD got updated to the 4-6-3 import?

But just to be sure I understand all this... What I did imported only the acs-automated-testing package as the tagged branch OACS-4-6-3 (only the testing package gets checked out when I use the -r OACS-4-6-3 option)? Ugh I hate this:(

If your bogus import did touch previously existing files, my guess is you should use cvs import again to put the old file back, as mentioned above.

So do I do it like this?

just re-do the last good vendor import with a new tag

cd /tmp/4-6-1
cvs import -m "Re-doing Upgrade to OpenACS 4.6.1 from openacs.org" openacs OpenACS OACS-4-6-1-cvs-redo

then check out a working copy on the last tag from before the bad vendor import

cd /tmp
cvs -q co -d lastworking -r OACS-4-6-1 openacs

and re-commit it with "cvs ci -r HEAD"... this gets your vendor branch back in shape and brings -HEAD back to where it should be too...

cd /tmp/lastworking
cvs ci -r HEAD

Now can I delete the old, bad OACS-4-6-3 tag and rename the OACS-4-6-1-cvs-redo tag to it's original name OACS-4-6-1? And now when I cvs checkout -r OACS-4-6-1 it is the original OACS 4.6.1 codebase as expected?

Don't you wish CVS had an atomic "rollback" command? :)

Oh gawd yes. badly.

It's so nice of you guys to help. thanks again and again:)