Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Greenpeace.org nominated for Webby-Awards

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Talli ... I know nothing of E.O. Wilson's politics, so your comment's interesting.

I find myself exasperated by the way American conservatives judge science through the ideological lens.  It's very ironic that conservationists and environmentalists are automatically labelled "leftist" today, and that any scientist whose work is cited in support of conservation or environmental protection is automatically assumed to be ideologically driven.

The Clean Air Act was passed by a Republican President.  Big labor (and their liberal representatives) fought it.

The Clean Water Act was passed by a Republican President.  Big labor fought it.

Labor fought enforcement of the National Forest Management Act and the National Environmental Protection Act, and the protections for old-growth forest lands that flowed from that enforcement, back in the 1980s.  Both of these acts were passed by a Republican President ...

The National Park system was established with the creation of Yellowstone by a Republican President, U.S. Grant.

The National Wildlife Refuge system was established by (altogether, now!) a Republican President, the noted proto-communist Teddy Roosevelt.

Oregon's land use planning laws, considered the most progressive in the country, were proposed by and passed due to the strong efforts of two conservative Republican farmers  who happened to serve in our state legislature, and was signed by a Republican governor.  It was supported by that noted communist front organization, The Grange.

The National Wildlife Federation endorsed Reagan for two terms.

I could go on but my fingers are getting tired.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
> I could go on but my fingers are getting tired.

thank god.

Not that I disagree at all with your politics but I am hoping everyone's fingers get tired soon since I don't think either side here is that interested in changing their views.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Jeff, I kind of like OT threads like this. While the flame war and ad hominem attacks sometimes get out of hand, it gives the community some personality, and provides a massive amount of information for both sides.

Dunno if anyone's political perspectives will change, at least from those participating, but I'm quite sure there are those who are learning quite a bit... me included.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I have to second Talli here. Discussions like these are very interesting and show that within the community we have a diverse background, from which we can learn quite interesting things, myself included.

Can google find this thread, I guess it would attract quite a diverse crowd, that may even end up trying out OpenACS.