Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS as video server

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
First of all thanks a lot for all the tips and the videos package which I will try out once I get back to this pet project of mine. For the time being I have the users convert the images to iPod compatible format (not Flash) and let them upload the videos happily. After all, most of the users own an iPod with video and would like to have the videos directly available for that media, that's why we are using the bigger mp4 format (short clips anyway...).

But as this is supposed to be expanded I will make sure I get my head around this and the flash option soonish (okay, this year 😊).

Thanks again
Malte

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Malte

I just wanted to clarify that the Flash Media Server doesn't require the files to be in Flash format - thats just the mechanism by which they are streamed. Out of the box it will stream MP3, MP4 and FLV's http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmediaserver/articles/beginner_vod_fm3.html

- Steve

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hi Malte,

As we are also working at this video integration (as you can see in Alessandro Landim's post up in this thread) maybe we can share some efforts to help you on that.

I agree with you that we can't ignore the Ipod format, but in our video approach all you have to do is the ffmpeg output for the video. Maybe we can use both formats: the MP4 for podcasts and FLV for browsers.

However, there are somethings we have to think: I don't know how is the Internet environment where you work, but here in Brasil bandwith is a major problem. If I have an MP4 file, most people just can't download it. The FLV has three advantages:

1 - It's compatible with all browsers
2 - The bandwith use is really lower
3 - Adobe is going to open the Flash format

And there's also another thing to think: today, most people use the Ipods for podcasts in a WiFi environment. Soon, they will be using their phone's browsers, and these browsers will have flash support too. So, I still think FLV is a better approach.