Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Postgres.so load error with AOLS 2.3.3, Solaris 2.5.1

RE: Postgres driver 1.15 versus 1.20

1.16 is where I rolled in some additional error handling from Jan Weick, and rolled in the FOR_ACS_USE conditional, so that a single driver could be merged into the AOLserver 3 distribution.  AOL of course took out the 2.3.3 compatibility stuff for their end.

HOWEVER, _this_ driver has worked with 2.3.3 _since_ 1.1 days. In fact, 1.1 didn't work with 3.0.

The whole set of conditionals based on NS_AOLSERVER3_PLUS, mostly used in the negative ifndef state, handle the portions of the code necessary to support 2.3.3 versus 3.0 -- the extendedTableInfo stuff, BestRowId and friends, and the include of two more headers for the 2.x case.

And, I was wrong -- the code in use on my production 2.3.3 server (not running OpenACS) is more along the lines of driver version 1.11 or so, not the latest.  I have built 1.16 for 2.3.3, and built 1.20 just last night for 2.3.3, to make sure it would build -- but that was on a different version of RedHat than what I am running on my production server.

The code is a little more complex now, as there are sections that need to be built or not built for four different build cases: AS 2.3, AS2.3+ACS, AS3, AS3+ACS.  The plain AS 3 case has the least code, and the AS3+ACS has the most.