Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Instances of OpenACS

Collapse
7: Re: Instances of OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Brad Ford on
Hi James,

Once you've got one instance set up, it's quite simple to add additional instances. I have four separate instances running on my wimpy duron 800 server - that should be had as I just tried doing a live upgrade from suse 8.2 to 9.0 and hosed the server. Luckily they were just experiments, nothing crucial. This time around, I'm going to document all the little suse quirks and tips for myself to remember.

In a nutshell, here's what you need to do:

1. Create a new user in the web group with the name of the new service/instance

2. Create a new db with the same name + I also run the openFTS scripts

3. Create a new directory under /web (or /var/lib/aolserver i think if you're following the head install docs) with the same name as your service

4. Copy everything from /web/existing service to /web/new service - you'll have to su to copy parts of /web/etc

5. Edit the config.tcl in /web/etc changing the service name to the new one

6. I use web forwarding through www.zoneedit.com to point multiple domain names to a single ip address. To do this, I have all the aol instances listening on different ports. If that's the route you want to take, you'll need to edit the listening port in config.tcl and change the ip to 0.0.0.0. Alternatively, use squid and apache for virtual hosting - search the forums for help on that. I'll be switching over on this setup and will writeup what I do

7. Edit the run file in /web/etc changing the service name to the new one

8. Fire off the linking command to link the service to daemon tools - ln -s /web/service0/etc/daemontools/ /service/service0

9. Start the service - svc -u /service/service0

10. Visit your new service in a web browser and follow the installation instructions as usual

That's all

You may notice that this is basically just following "Install OpenACS 4.6.3" section of the install guide - works for head as well. I haven't tried the new auto install method yet as outlined in the head docs.