Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: error while installing developer support service

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Smith on
Trying it his way times out. I think it is because of the firewall. Could something else be causing this?

Is there any other way to do this?

Thank you.

Collapse
Posted by Derick Leony on
Ok, then you could try this (which is actually what the "Install" page does):
1. Download the APM file (which is just a tgz) from https://openacs.org/repository/5-3/acs-developer-support-5.2.0d1.apm

2. Extract the content (tar -xvzf acs-developer-support-5.2.0d1.apm). Copy or move this folder into your-instance-root-folder/packages

3. Now you can go to http://yourinstance/acs-admin/apm and install the package.

Collapse
Thank you, Derick.

I downloaded and extracted the file to the packages directory, then went into install software, install from local, and selected acs-developer-support. It installed very quickly(less than one second). I clicked to restart the server but it will not come back up. Any idea what I should do? I have shell access to the box but do not know what commands will restart the service.

Collapse
Yeah, the "restart server" just stops it and expects that you have set up a daemon so it'd start AOLserver after it goes down.

To start the service, you can do this:
/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd -u www-data -g www-data -t /var/www/openacs/etc/config.tcl

Change it to match your AOLserver bin path, user, group and OpenACS root path.

If you want to check the daemon details, you can find the explanation at https://openacs.org/doc/current/install-openacs-keepalive.html

Collapse
I tried doing as you suggested with what I think are the proper directories:

/var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/bin/nsd -u smith -g web -t /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/etc/config.tcl

But got:
-bash: /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/bin/nsd: No such file or directory

There are multiple instances of open acs on the server, would that make a difference?

Collapse
No, nsd is not at OpenACS' bin path but AOLserver's. It might be somewhere like /usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd or /usr/local/lib/aolserver4/bin/nsd.

If there are other instances running, you can do a "ps aufx" to see how they were started.

Collapse
There is no bin directory under aolserver.

/var/lib/aolserver

Where else should I look?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not familiar with the directory structure...

Collapse
I tried the ps aufx command which gave me a ton of stuff I didn't understand, but I did find an entry that might be relevant. So I tried:
/usr/local/aolserver4/bin/nsd -u smith -g web -t /var/lib/aolserver/dodss-cleat/etc/config.tcl

Which gave me:
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: starting to read config file...
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: using threadsafe tcl: 1
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl: finished reading config file.
[15/May/2008:11:30:06][1593.3086657216][-main-] Fatal: nsmain: chdir(/usr/lib/aolserver4) failed: 'No such file or directory'

Site is still not up.

Collapse
It might be easier to explain on irc (#openacs @ freenode.net) and better for the forum. If you can't access it due to firewall restrictions, try any web based client like www.mibbit.com or such.
Collapse
I am on irc now. Thank you.