Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS 4.6.3/5.0.0b4 on Debian - Permissions Problem

Hi John,

Sounds frustrating!

Could you please provide the following information, to possibly help with trouble-shooting?

-The command used to start AOLserver (with all flags)

-an ls -ltr on /var/lib/aolserver/dev_divvy

The directions for file locations and ownership changed between 4.6.3 and 5.0 - you mention installing both - which set of directions were you using for file permissions/ownership?

BTW, I've done a couple OpenACS 5.0 installs on Debian (stable) without any problems, but I've been compiling postgres from source.

Collapse
Posted by John Luong on

Cathy,

Thanks for your response.

The following is how I start AOLServer.

dev_divvy@jetson:~$ /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd-postgres -t /var/lib/aolserver/dev_divvy/etc/config.tcl

The following is the result of a ls -ltr on /var/lib/aolserver/dev_divvy

dev_divvy@jetson:/var/lib/aolserver/dev_divvy$ ls -lrt
total 40
-rwx------    1 dev_divv web          2058 Dec  8 10:11 readme.txt
drwx------    2 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 bin
drwx------    2 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 content-repository-content-files
drwx------    2 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 tcl
drwx------    4 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 www
drwx------   21 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 packages
drwx------    4 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 etc
drwx------    2 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 11 05:18 database-backup
drwxr-xr-x    2 dev_divv web          4096 Dec 28 05:40 apm-workspace
drwx------    2 dev_divv web          4096 Jan  4 00:00 log
dev_divvy@jetson:/var/lib/aolserver/dev_divvy$

I realize the instructions changed. I did everything up to the tarball as OpenACS 5 and then decided to try to install OpenACS 4, because this site might go to production in a few months and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting out an OpenACS 5-alpha site.

After failing with the OpenACS 4.6.3 install, I decided to go fire up OpenACS 5, since I figured I could develop on OpenACS 5 for the most part and then port it back to 4.6.3 in a hosted environment if I did go production in the next few months.

Well, your unix file permissions are clearly wrong. Your files appear to all be readable only by you, dev_divv, but since AOLserver does not run as you that can't possibly work right. chmod them all to 644 or something like that. E.g.:
$ find . -type d -print | xargs chmod 755
$ find . -type f -print | xargs chmod 644
When starting AOLserver, you should probably also be including the options "-i -u some-user -g web" on the command line.

Also, what version of AOLserver are you using?

Might go to production in 3+ months? I'd just go with 5.0 then. I haven't really been keeping track but sounds like they've been stomping lots of bugs and will officially release 5.0 soon, I assume much less than 3 months from now.