Forum OpenACS Q&A: Postgres driver not loading when AOLserver is started from inittab

When I start AOLserver manually from the command line, it works fine. When I attempt to add it to inittab so it will start and restart automatically, I am getting the following error:

Warning: could not load /home/aol30/bin/
postgres.so:  libpq.so.2.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Here is my AOLserever entry from inittab:
nss:2345:respawn:/home/aol30/bin/nsd -it /home/aol30/design.tcl -u nsadmin -g nsadmin

I use the exact same command from the command line and everything works fine. I did not seem to have this problem when I was using Classic ACS with Oracle.

Did you add the path to the PG libraries to your /etc/ld.so.conf and did a ldconfig?
Remember that an inittab entry has a different path than a command line invocation....
I added /usr/local/pgsql/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and now it works. I misread the documentation, it seemed to indicate that this was optional if /usr/local/pgsql/lib was included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH but obviously LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not loaded when it is run from inittab. I checked and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the AOLserver user is set correctly. I guess I just read it wrong.
I agree with Dave. The instructions suggested that the simplest option was to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the file /etc/profile.

What does the command /sbin/ldconfig do? If I am starting AOL Server from the inittab script do I need to ensure that /sbin/ldconfig runs as well or is this a one time only config step?

Any help much appreciated - learning curve still v.steep!

Thanks
R.