Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Should an optional service package modify an application package?

Lars,

Actually there is already code that works the way I am thinking, but in a specific context. That is, the dotlrn-* packages have specific code to run when a package instance is mounted underneath dotLRN. This does not use the package tcl callbacks, they didn't exist when that code was written.

The dotlrn-* code only runs when a package is mounted by the dotlrn code, not when its mounted through the site-map.

Anyway, I think its a good idea to consider if we want to build future intergrated applications by combining standard packages.

So a new way to implement the specific package mounting code using tcl callbacks would be to check if the package is being mounted under an instance of dotlrn and if so, perform the necessary operations.

Another solution to me specific problem parmaters that are set for all packages of a package type, or a way to change the default for all new instances of a package.

Even more interesting would be a general way to make more complex settings that affect tables other than the apm package parameters.