Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Learning ACS through OpenACS?

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Well, that was enlightening. I just gave a presentation about tight Web/DB integration to my local LUG (linux users' group). It was very broad, but suprisingly, still very educational for about 2/3 the room.

That's very good. I gave a presentation abut databases on GNU/Linux to my local Free Software and GNU/Linux Club, somewhat directed for web/db and it was really good. Of course, the same questions and statements that we see here and on /. about MySQL came up and I was able to address them and convert about 10 people to switch from MySQL.

It still amazes me how MySQL gets this "free-pass" in the open source community. I guess the biggest reason for this would be PHP.

Can we get wimpy point running on openACS? Since I'm going to run a few more lectures centered around

Wimpy has been ported by Don quite a while ago. My presentation was made on it and you're free to uso it as long as you keep the credits (http://fslc.usu.edu). I'd be interested to take a look at your presentation too.

Question 2: Editing the psets to make them pgSQL compatible now sounds like a wonderful plan. Deirdre, have you

There have been talks about this but no one has actually done it AFAIK. IMHO this is a great idea and if you're up to do it, please do. I don't think aD would have any problems with it. Besides, this is free software arena. Have an itch? Scratch it. Spreading the ACS gospel only benefits aD.