Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Rebooting a system using daemontools and Oracle

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Thanks, Tom and Guan.  I guess I figured things would be more elegant under daemontools, but wth.  This looks like a good solution.

Dirk, if I had to I would go ahead and crash Oracle, but since I don't have to, I'd rather not take the risk.  Or, to be precise, the Oracle DBA I'm working with on this would not like to take the risk;  he's fairly conservative, as such folks tend to be.  It's his job. :)

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Well, databases take a lot of overhead to secure data against crashes, so what I said is much less outrageous than it may have seemed.

Anyway - run this command: less `which dbshut`

And then append immediate to every shutdown command and test the script by shutting down Oracle with a running AOLServer/SQLPlus session. If it works, everything will be fine and dandy, this is the script called by the Oracle rc script.

(You need to fiddle a bit with the spfiles when using Oracle 9)

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
As to what shutdown immediate|abort|transactional do, look here: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76956/start.htm#6370

And immediate may take a lot of time - depending on how long the longest rollback will take. Someone on the Oracle newsgroup posted that he once waited 6 hours.