Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Some notes on using Eclipse

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
I use eclipse but not for openacs.  Its really nice.  Word of caution though for the CVS integration.  Since its relatively very easy to manipulate stuff.  Refactor, etc.  There was one time I managed to really shift things around, experimenting on a solution.  I did not realize it got committed, and it should not have been committed.  After that I went back to normal cli CVS, where things are harder but makes you more aware of things.

Also eclipse can use emacs keyboard mapping.

Although I use elipse, emacs is still on side by side with eclipse.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Basic conclusion after running Eclipse for 2-3 days:
It's slow.  Just typing in the editor is slow.  It's fairly pretty.  It makes it easy to see file trees.  CVS integration broke after a day.  It's so java-oriented that I don't think I really saw its strengths.  I was able to configure it to do maybe half of my routine dev/doc tasks (that I do with emacs and cvs in the command line) with a few days work.  The ability to save "perspectives" is tempting.

A few more notes on things I succeeded in doing:

Database access:
file:///usr/share/eclipse/plugins/com.quantum.Quantum_2.2.2/doc/connect.html
(currently failing on ident problem)
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/doc.html#install

I was able to set up project-wide build to call svc to restart the website.  I also set up an external tool link so that one click while viewing an xml Docbook file regenerates (by calling the Makefile that's already there).

filter out emacs and cvs detritus in navigation:
edit /usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ui_2.1.1/plugin.xml
and add
<extension point="org.eclipse.ui.resourceFilters">
  <filter pattern=".#*" selected="true"/>
  <filter pattern="#*#" selected="true"/>
  <filter pattern="*~" selected="true"/>
</extension>

but the 'normal' way to do it would be to create your own plug-in that contains this information:
(16:39:05) jaufrec: how long does it take to learn to do that from scratch if you've been using Eclipse for 2 days?
(16:39:10) jaufrec: and don't know java?
(16:41:21) Sky_: jaufrec: you need to understand how works the plug-in system. In your case there is no code needed

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Joel,

Are you thinking you will be using Eclipse still? Or have you found it to be too slow, clunky, or such? I have been playing with it today and thinking of using it but on startup its quite slow on OS X for me... haven't done much on using it with OACS. In your opinion, is it worthwhile for me to continue in that direction?!

tia:)