Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Error using External Authentication

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Great it works now!! Tahnks.

But what is strange is that the local login required an email and now I cannot log into the system over the local authority anymore.

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
What did you specify for "username" when adding the local user in dotLRN > Admin > Users > Add A User
http://dotlrn20-test.collaboraid.net/dotlrn/user-add?add_membership_p=f&dotlrn_interactive_p=1&referer=/dotlrn/admin/users ?
This should work now for Login instead of eMail.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Yeah, that's the problem.

When logging in using email, we don't ask for a username, we just generate one. So when you switch from using email to login, to using usernames, you generally don't know what your username is ...

Any good suggestions for how to fix this?

The premise is that when you've set your site to use email, everything should be the way it always was: No mention of usernames, 'cause they're not being used anywhere.

But if you're logging in via username, well, then you need a username. And currently, you also need an email, even though in the future, we'll want to remove the requirement to have an email address with the system.

I guess the solution that others implement is to have a "I forgot my username" link that asks for your email and responds by sending your username to that email?

For now, though, if you have access to your database, you can say 'select email, username from cc_users' to see which emails correspond to which usernames -- and chances are that it'll be identical to your email.

/Lars