Forum OpenACS Q&A: Aolserver? refusing connections

Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
Hi All,

After having destroyed my Suse 8.2 installation during an upgrade to 9.0, I had to reinstall everything. Before I had a working installation from head with 4 different servers going. As far as I can tell, I've rebuilt everything the same.

Here's the problem - I downloaded the brand spanking new 5.0 tarball (great work everyone!), installed everything, got through the first openacs install steps where all the datamodels, etc are loaded and the server restarts, ready for adding applications, etc. Restart the server, no probs getting to the index page www.physworx.com:8000. Hit the login link and get a connection refused error in the browser. No hint of what the problem might be in the log - shows a GET ... for the login page and that's it. Is there a more verbose mode to start aolserver in? Seems that anything aside from the index page gets the same response. Also, I had the same behaviour on my first try which was a 5.0rc2 install. The port is open as the index page comes up, all the software appears to be working just fine - any thoughts/suggestions what to try next?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This might be an AOLserver bug (if you run aolserver4) that will say connection refused every second time you restart the server. I assume it has something to do with AOLserver not releasing the IP:PORT combination fast enough.
Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
Hmm, I've tried restarting the server (a few times). No luck. It's the 3.3.1ad13 version. Could it be a problem with my compile? Are there any additional places to look for error messages?
Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
Also the IP:Port is ok (I think) because I can always open the index page, just can't go anywhere from there...
Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
What's the code with that GET?  (200? Something else?)

You should also be getting an error.log file in your log directory - that may be more informative.  You can also set debug true in your etc/config.tcl for an even more verbose error.log.

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
is it possible that your server that answers intially on port :8000 is redirecting you to either https/443 which would get a connection refused if you didn't have the secure server set up -- or is redirecting you to port 80 which may not be set up?
Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Is it a permissions problem? Might be worth a chown -R on the lot to see if that resolves it.
Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
Oops, forgot to make sure my firewall had the https port open. I opened that port up but same problem. I even tried turning the firewall off completely - same problem.

I changed config.tcl to debug but no more info. The GET code coming up is 302 - redirecting to https I assume - and that's all.

I did a check on permissions and there were some problems there - most sudirectories owned by root.web. Guess you can't trust konqueror for quick and dirty permission changes.

I'm not seeing an error log in the server's log directory - should I be looking elsewhere?

Is there any code/output I could post that might be helpful?