Forum OpenACS Q&A: Recommended Linux / Unix for OACS 5.0?

What is the recommended Linux/Unix version for our sweet new 5.0 release?

Does anyone run it on Fedora? Or Suse that now is Novell? Or should one switch to Debian? Or the BSDs?

Which freely available distribution is most likely to win the race for the most widely used free linux? I would also like to have an easy to update system like Andrew described in his post (https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=157628)...

Our docs still say RedHat 8/9 although RedHat will shut down support for 9 on April 30th. We might want to change that?!

After Suse got bought by Novell, I kinda have the suspicion that they will march down a similar road to RedHat's. Give up support for their free product and sell a pro version to their customers.

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Terenzio on
Postgres and FreeBSD is great, but if you want to use Oracle, it seems your choices might be a little more limited for the time being.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I can tell you it runs great on Debian, both stable or unstable. Stay away from testing since it lags security updates. Many OpenACS developers use Debian.

I believe there would be no problems to running it on recent RPM-based distributions. There's also Gentoo, which several OACS'ers use.

If you need Oracle, then your choices are limited mostly to the distributions supported by Oracle, if you want to stay on the safe path. I have heard of quite a few people with Oracle installations on Debian though.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
After Suse got bought by Novell, I kinda have the suspicion that they will march down a similar road to RedHat's. Give up support for their free product...
Given the amount SUSE and IBM are spending to receive EAL certification, you must be right.

Oracle is spending with Red Hat to obtain Common Criteria EAL2 certification.

Collapse
Posted by Christian Eva on
I use SuSE professional edition for many years and am very pleased with it. Also there Online update is just great.

They run a Support Database wich is quite good as well.

I am pretty sure that these features will not go away as they are in the standard edition.

I think the Novell deal will just strengthen the enterprise support position.

SuSE looked always at RedHat and tried to do things better, ie Oracle installations in my experience were always running smoother.

(Since OACS is running great on PG I am not using Oracle anymore).