Forum OpenACS Development: Re: 5.0 is done.

Collapse
7: Re: 5.0 is done. (response to 1)
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I did a cvs checkout (5-0-0-final) yesterday and appeared to get a full system, but I'm doubting it's actually 5.0.0 final, since I'm seeing bugs that would certainly be blocking in several packages.  Anyone else seeing similar?  I'm switching over to the tarball to see if that fixes the problem.
Collapse
8: Re: 5.0 is done. (response to 7)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
5-0-0-final should apply only to the core modules. Are you seeing critical bugs in core modules? If so, please log them. If you check out 5-0-0-final from cvs or untar the tarball, you get only the core packages. If you then update with cvs up -Pd (prune removed dirs, add new dirs), you will get everything from the oacs-5-0 branch. This includes all packages and all contrib (basically everything but .LRN). You can't do cvs up if you got the tarball, but you can Install From Repository, and the repository on openacs.org was built yesterday from oacs-5-0.

Only the core got a real release management process. I am compiling a list of broken packages which I will turn into bugs (Pri 1/Sev 1 - does not install - for individual packages). So far, about 10% of packages don't install from auto-installer due to broken dependency data, and another 20% or 30% break on install or don't work.

Next steps:

• I've updated the CVS Checkout instructions. We need to figure out the rules for developing packages (for example, all work on contrib modules should only happen in HEAD, what are the criteria for releasing 'standard' packages and who does the code work and the Release Management work, etc).
  • We need to test out all of the existing packages against stock 5.0.0. Everyone is welcome to play with the new Demo Server, and if you want an admin account to test package installs just let me know.
Collapse
10: Re: 5.0 is done. (response to 8)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
The respository has two channels, 5-0 and 5-1, which is really HEAD.  Which channel your server uses is automatic, based on your kernel version.  A server using the 5.0.0 tarball uses channel 5-0.  Due to a bug in the code generating the repository, the 5-0 channel actually had HEAD code.  Lars fixed the bug and I rebuilt the repository on openacs.org a few hours ago so "Install from Repository" should produce much better results now.