Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Subsites with separate domain names - issues

Collapse
Posted by Hérick Moniz on
For me the greater advantage of a subsite steading alone is being able to maintain a single source of code for many customers. This is particularly important when you do modifications to OpenACS that are not taken back into the main OpenACS repository.  That way if a customer points you to a bug, every customer get the benefice.

This will occur because it is not possible to have a tool kit that fills all the needs, and because it not easy to know how to modify a module so we could still sync it with the CVS tree.

The templateing system is a good way to allow modification of a module look but what if we like to modify a module behavior ?

For example, in my case I like to create a mechanism to control which user maybe register to a group. My first thinking will be to modify /acs-subsite/register but in doing so I will not be able to sync it with the main CVS tree...

Herick

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Yes, the use case here is running an ASP service, where you really don't want to go through the trouble of maintaining and upgrading multiple code bases and DB's, if you can avoid it.

Here are some notes from a brainstorm I had with Branimir recently:

http://www.collaboraid.biz/developer/blog/one-entry?entry%5fid=24260

It's something worth thinking more about, and then once we do it, we do it right.

/Lars