Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Location of openacs.org cvs tree

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I'm actually more in favour of running OpenACS.org on a stock cvs checkout of the latest release branch and keep the changes in a seperate place. I don't see one reason why OpenACS.org should differ from the toolkit with regards to functionality. If the community wants to use it in a certain way, we better get that code as fast as possible back into the toolkit (and what better way then to use the stock cvs as our repository).

I'm not sure about the nature of the changes that caused so much trouble, but after a CVS update to the latest release, we should be able to re-checkout the changes repository on top of our current installation and be happy with it.

Last but not least, upgrading OpenACS should become considerably less burdensome and be executed on a regular basis. Not wanting to put too much work load on the release manager, but I'd be really happy to see him charge after some people let's say two weeks after the release to upgrade openacs.org to the latest one (and make an upgrade of openacs.org a showstopper for the next release).

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
but after a CVS update to the latest release, we should be able to re-checkout the changes repository on top of our current installation

What would the cvs checkout/update commands look like?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
What would the cvs checkout/update commands look like?

On the risk of sounding naive:

• cvs -d /cvsroot update -Pd -r oacs-X-Y
  • cvs -d /cvsroot update -Pd -r openacs-org (different repository)
This assumes, that the changes we are making to openacs.org are only *cosmetic* in nature (mainly templates).
Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
I'm not extremely familiar with cvs but it is my understanding that it's not possible to update from a repository other than the one used for the initial checkout. And this kinda makes sense because there is (as far as I know) specification for one and only one repository (CVSROOT) within the cvs admin files (CVS directory) maintained in each directory.

I was hoping that there was some slick way to mix checkouts from two repositories. It sure would make my life easier.

Thanks,

Randy