Forum OpenACS Development: Re: FYI: My Vision and priorities for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
Kudos to everyone who has taken the time to post here (and of course Lars for taking the time to build and explain his vision).

There are lots of great thoughts here about making OpenACS more attractive to all different people, but something needs to be seen for it's beauty to be appreciated!

I think that as well as working on the tech side (which is essential) we need to be working on active and passive promotion, and that can take some creative angles.

I like Lars' idea of shifting to sourceforge so we could get into the top X rated projexts on sf.net - sure to turn some heads. We should work at building and collating cool stats for the openacs.org homepage - I think one cool stat is how many google searches turn up an openacs or adj page in the first 5 results - dunno how you would graph that though!

Speaking of the openacs.org homepage, I think it's time for a redesign - just a visual redisign. It looks kinda, well, early 90's.

We should all also write some articles for journals - my experience writing an article on ecommerce with Rafael shows that it's not too hard to get a spot in a commercial journal like SysAdmin. Getting some books on the shelves of Barnes & Noble (go Jade!) is a good idea too.

Other promotion is sites. We need some really good promo sites - even if we have to group together to build some free sites for non-profits who can't afford development - and make sure that press releases get to every IT trade press in the world (insert maniacle laugh here) - you would be really surprised how easy it is to get stuff like that in newspapers.