Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Location of openacs.org cvs tree

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
I think it depends on how often we want to update openacs.org.

If we, for instance, did a vendor import of openACS-stable regularly, tht wouild be maintainable. But if we wait for major version revisions, then the merges would be almost impossible.

I agree with Malte's suggestion of basing openacs.org on a standard checkout, with a smallish collection of diffs/whatever kept elsewhere.

I also believe that it is essential that openacs.org runs on the latest major version as a minimum. It is, after all, everyone's first experience with OpenACS, and they will be far more motivated to do a download/install if they can see how functional it is.

For instance I think that small things like the spell checking on nearly everything would blow people away and explain better than works about the underlying structure of openacs.

SO I don't think we can avoid the rebuild on 5.0, but we should try and make the functionality be as close to a standard checkout as possible - even if that means changing the look and feel a bit to match our standard. It might even give us a shove along with css/templating the core packages.