Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: IMS Content Packaging and IMS Metadata compliant!

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Erni,

great job. I will test the upload with different courses we have created with our SCORM Course Editor. A first version of it will be available soon.

Just a few questions: What exactly about SCORM could not be implemented? The Runtime Environment?

Also is export or deleting of an uploaded course supported?

How do you plan to integrate your work with dotLRN?

Greetings,
Nima

Hey Nima,

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate the encoragement 😉

Just a few questions: What exactly about SCORM could not be implemented? The Runtime Environment?

IMS CP and MD are part of SCORM, so we got that part. Also as I posted on this thread Adam Ullman has created an API adapter to SCORM RunTime Environment. That is a java applet that it is used on the client side to communicate to the LMS.

So, what it needs to be done is the server side for SCORM RTE and the management of SCORM courses. Basically, the LMS part. Also, a bit of integration of all parts. This is a doc I wrote as part of the SCORM and OpenACS integration.

Also is export or deleting of an uploaded course supported?

I have included functions to delete courses, organizations, items, resources and files. So in principle: yes, there are functions to do deleting operations. However, exporting has not been done yet. Although, you will find that when you import stuff in the CR, there's a function -implemented by the file-storage package- that can be used to zip all the content of a folder (and subfolders) and export it as a single file: that would be your imsmanifest.xml file. The wonders of interoperability, isn't it? 😉

How do you plan to integrate your work with dotLRN?

What I have done is a set of libraries so they can be used by any package anywhere. The idea is that these libraries are part of the lightweight learning object repository that I would like to get your feedback on 😊. It is part of an on going set of libraries that will be growing (if resources permitted).

Let me know if you have a chance to test the uploading of IMS/SCORM 1.2 packages to the demo site I set above. I would be really interesting to see if you consider the performance to be OK. Currently I have managed to import 250+ files package with large amounts of metadata in less than a minute on a single 2.4 GHz processor.

Take care and once again, thank you for your comments.

Ernie