Forum OpenACS Q&A: Largest OpenACS community?
Some facts about http://www.aiesec.net
- OACS 4.6.3 and .LRN 1.0
- >120,000 registered users, about 50,000 are active
- more than 20,000 users logged in within the last 24h
- so far easily up to around 100 concurrent users
- 1 load balancer
- 2 web server (Single 2,8 GHz P4-Xeon MT, 2 GB RAM)
- 1 database server (Dual-Opteron 242, 1,6 GHz, 4 GB RAM)
Until very recently, we only had one webserver (Dual-P3 933 MHz, 2 GB RAM) which would support up to 60 concurrent users but after that become quite unstable. The portal system of .LRN 1.0 is very resource-intensive.
We wish it was faster. Our testing indicates that most of the bottleneck is in the database. We've done a lot of query tweaking for our internal packages, and that has helped. I'm afraid we are now at the point where the only way to really make the site smoke is to drop serious cash on a bigger Oracle box. We've also been thinking about moving to a 9i RAC configuration with two servers, but I'm unsure if that will really help us in the performance department, and that means *really* serious cash because you need some sort of SAN configuration, none of the infrastructure for which do we have in place...