Forum OpenACS Q&A: Request: upgraders with CVS please post

If you're using CVS, and your setup follows the documentation, can you please keep track of all the commands you use to upgrade your installation?

Eventually, I'd like to add something to the documentation that describes how to upgrade if you're using CVS and have local changes, and it would be helpful to have something to refer to when I (or someone else) writes the documentation.

It would also be nice to document how new developers who have write access can set up their installations so they can contribute code..

Eventually, it would be nice to have a document which explains best practices for developers, with a dev, staging, and production instance, or whatever. I seem to remember some talk of this in the past...

I have some untested and generally poor quality documentation using Arch (instead of CVS) that describes the general outline of what I personally would like to see (http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/arch).

So, if you upgrade from 5.00 to 5.02 or whatever, please keep track of the steps you take, and post them here. Eventually, they should work their way into the documentation. And if you have any thoughts on "best practices" for setting up CVS, feel free to comment on that here as well.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Okay, I overlooked this:

https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-0-0/upgrade-openacs-files.html

I'll go sit in the corner now.

But I'm still interested in best practices documentation. 😊

Collapse
Posted by Carsten Clasohm on
Unfortunately, you will have a problem when you use a private CVS repository for your site, previously imported 4.6.3, and now import and merge 5.0. There are a number of packages which have been removed from the distribution tarball since 4.6.3, and merging the changes between 4.6.3 and 5.0 will cause these packages to disappear.

I only noticed this after doing the merge, and had to fix it by installing them from the "OpenACS Repository" on /acs-admin/install/, and adding them to my CVS repository again.

The upgrade instructions should mention this, with a list of packages that have been removed.