Forum OpenACS Q&A: New OpenACS site just launched - Royal.com!

Hi all,

Well, my company has finally launched www.royal.com. We are using OpenACS 3.2.2 (I think). The main functionality is the ecommerce module, although it's barely being used. We're currently working on store.royal.com which will be where users can actually purchase product. That will be the latest 3.2.4 and hopefully up and running soon! We're also using the News module in the site.

The cool thing is that Royal is a HUGE company, so this lends a big name to our favorite toolkit.

There have been some issues reported of the DNS not working properly, so if you get to a real ugly white background site, that's not it.

Thanks to everyone who helped get this beast going. Especially to James Shannon who did a lot of customization to the ecommerce module to get it to work the way the client wanted!

Scott
Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
I'm flabbergasted. How very cool. Corporate America getting a taste of the OpenACS.

Scott -- can you give us any details about the construction of the site? what modules are being used? e-commerce doesn't seem to be up just yet, will it also use OpenACS?

More importantly, I see that Royal will be at comdex -- are you guys also making the trip out? I'd love to get all the details about the site.

Kudos again!

Collapse
Posted by Connie Hentosh on
I'd love any details on the ecommerce module, too!  The site looks sharp.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Really cool site. And it's running on OpenACS which is even more cool. I saw some products under /ecommerce so it is being used somewhat. The graphics are really nice, but a little too much flash there, but still really nice.

Kudos!

In it's current incarnation ecommerce is being used as a glorified dynamic brochure. The next version of the site (hopefully soon) will have links into actually being able to purchase items. So, other than that, the only other ACS module is news which is being used for press releases (http://www.royal.com/news/ of course!).

Royal is going to be at Comdex, but I don't know if I'll make it. I'm actually a third party developer. We also created Edulix.com a while ago. I'd love to come out and meet all the ACS guys, though. I'll look into making it.

And, yes Roberto, there's a bit too much Flash for even MY liking! But you gotta go with what the client wants. :)

Scott

p.s. if you think THAT's a lot of Flash, check out the site we just built for ourselves http://www.icentris.com . That link in the upper right to Client Extranet is eventually going to link into the Intranet module...once it gets figured out!

Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
weird that this site percolated to the top of the forums ...

... however its interesting to note its running on iis right now.

probably some custom .asp nonsense.