Forum OpenACS Q&A: Upgrading Photos

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Hi Folks

I have a OpenACS 4.5 installation which I want to upgrade to 5. Rather than go through the upgrade path 4.5 > 4.6 > 5.0 I was planning to create a clean installation of 5.0.

The only items of value on the current 4.5 site are several hundred photos in various folders in the photo package. Rather than recreate and upload all the photos again, is there any way in which I can pull just the photos out of the content repository and reload them into the new installation?

- Steve

Collapse
2: Re: Upgrading Photos (response to 1)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
If you want only the photos, no captions or anything, then you can pluck the files out of the file system with a shell script .  Photo album in 5.0 supports uploading a bunch of photos at once and also moving photos to other albums.  If you want to keep the metadata, then I think doing the upgrade might be the easiest way.
Collapse
3: Re: Upgrading Photos (response to 2)
Posted by Steve Manning on
Joel

Thanks. This particular machine was my first OACS install so its a bit untidy. Hence the thoughts of a clean install.

Theres not much metadata so I'll have a look at extracting them from the file system although I would still have to relate them back to the cr in the database to get the folder layout.

If as you say the Photo-Album in 5 can do bulk uploads it might just be easier to get the original photos back in from source :o)

- Steve