Forum OpenACS Development: Oracle 10g

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Greetings,

Has anyone installed OpenACS on Oracle 10g?

I ask because Oracle has made RAC available on 10g Standard Edition.  As of version 10g RAC no longer requires Enterprise edition, thus it is almost affordable for me.

Anyone here have experience with RAC?  My understanding is that it gets you redundancy, but not a lot of load balancing, and that things work best if you have tuned your application for a RAC configuration.

Collapse
2: Re: Oracle 10g (response to 1)
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
To followup to my own post, Oracle has a new whitepaper describing the differences between the 4 (!) editions of the 10g database product:

http://otn.oracle.com/products/database/oracle10g/pdf/twp_general_10gdb_product_family_0104.pdf

The two most exciting things about this to me are (1) RAC is now part of Standard Edition, and (2) Standard Edition now supports functional indexes.  I haven't dug into the technical details of that yet, but there is the potential for some huge performance increases there, especially creating indexes on things like 'lower(first_names)', 'lower(last_name)', and 'lower(email)'...

Collapse
3: Re: Oracle 10g (response to 2)
Posted by Sebastiano Pilla on
FYI, function-based indexes are in Standard Edition from 9i onwards (with 8i they were only in Enterprise Edition).
Collapse
4: Re: Oracle 10g (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
And functional indexes have been in Postgres, Free Edition, for a long time :)