Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: feedreader notifier

Collapse
2: Re: feedreader notifier (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
We would want to rewrite notifications to handle multiple destinations besides E-Mail (SMS, Notifier, RSS Channels, Jabber). But this is tedious work and therefore costly, currently without funding.

As for you specific notifier, I'm sure if we would know the format, we could just use the bloglines.com notifier and have users download it from there. As these are client applications a whole new set of skills come into play. Not sure if someone would want to delve into this from our community, but it might be a nice project for students that are not so keen on working with the internals of OpenACS.

Collapse
3: Re: feedreader notifier (response to 2)
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Malte, some work of our students here at Sydney might help:

http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/projects/det_ug2003

Title:      Web Based SMS Notification Service using Open ACS
Author:     Jackson Chung Kit Chow

Jackson modified notifications to handle SMS. Basically he added SMS as a notification mecanism within the package (it was actually neat simple as he implemented it using service contracts). I can't remember the full details, but I personally tested it in Sydney with an SMS modem and it worked really well.

Moreover, there's another interesting package that "filters" information from different RSS sources and could use the notification package to generate instant annoucements: say you want to be notified if the subject of a particular source news is 'SCO goes bankrupt', so as soon as that happens, you are immediatly notified by whatever mean (SMS/Email/etc) you have selected.

Title:      Market Intelligence platform
Author:     Kim Hoan Tran

I hope that helps

Ernie