Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Using list-builder and order by

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Joel,
The paginator doesn't have to return HTML, see the switches.

Also, while I think the list builder is cool, it is way to complex for most uses and as you see you have to specify different code just to paginate.

I wrote, and Brad Duell has been adding to, my paginator to combine both funtions and it is much faster.

A. All sorts are done in the DB where it should be, no more tcl madness to sort.
B. It uses the almost the same syntax as the old ad_ procs.
C. It has been extended by Brad to do much more.
D. It is already integrated with external dhtml widgets.
E. It is in production on several sites, some with very large querys that took minutes with the old paginator and under a second with the new.

I am looking into integrating my stuff with list-builder, but with so much dependency on templating procs it will be difficult to do. I feel that unfortunatly list-builder is becoming the de-facto UI widget, but I will update my code base with Brad's latest changes tomorrow.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
"The paginator doesn't have to return HTML, see the switches."  I understand this in theory; in practice I stared at the screen for ten or twenty minutes and didn't really grok much (and couldn't get the example to work readily).  I was hoping someone else already had a good working example of "new" paginator with list-builder.