Forum .LRN Q&A: default user portlets

Collapse
Posted by Nagita Karunaratne on
Hello,

How does dotlrn create user portals?

I set the default value of the dotlrn parameter variable 'default_user_portal_applets' to 'dotlrn_dotlrn' in file dotlrn.info

Then after reinstallation there are four portlets

1. dotlrn_main_portlet
2. fs_portlet
3. calendar_portlet
4. calendar_full_portlet

I expected (1), but I cannot figure out how the rest got there since they do not exist in in the user template portal which was used as a template. Does anybody know where these come from?

Collapse
2: Re: default user portlets (response to 1)
Posted by Nagita Karunaratne on
Ok,

I found this.

This is added because /dotlrn/admin/user-new-2.tcl calls dotlrn::user_add which calls the 'AddUser' method of the dotlrn-applet SC for each and every applet in the system.

dotlrn-calendar and dotlrn-fs just happen to have an implementation that adds  portlets to the user's portal.

All other applets, even dotlrn-dotlrn has a no-op for 'AddUser'.

Is this something that is yet to be completed?
What is special about calendar and fs that requires that the user be added by default?
Was the intention to check a parameter to see if the portlet is to be added before adding it?

Thanks

Collapse
3: Re: default user portlets (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think OpenForce probably did this because calendar and file storage are each created on a their own pages in the user portal.  When you manage applets from the control panel and add optional ones, there's no user interface for optionally creating a new page and putting the portlet the applet creates  on that new page.

And the initial page structure's hardwired, of course.  Having blank "calendar" and "file storage" pages would look weird!

Better would be more complete flexibility in the initial configuration but it appears we don't have that.