Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: .LRN Gardens

Collapse
4: Re: .LRN Gardens (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Bruce,

There is not much technical hurdle.  But the real problem is the great task of transforming the files to use css and into valid xhtml.  OpenACS started in the time where css was more of an after thought.  Through the years it had none css friendly html output and even non valid xhtml.

The newer packages are more css friendly and xhtml.  Atleast that is what I try to do.  Also if I will work on heavily on a package I will try to put it into css to my best of effort.

I think right now we need two things:

- a champion for the cause of making things into css and xhtml.  this is no joke its going to be a real long time.
- volunteers to do the work. lots of it.

I think the work on making things into css is not fit for the opensource model we have.  I doubt you will find the top gurus here spending their time in making something that doesn't require them to think.  Another issue is that the display is something that is always customized on a project.  So most of times this is the part that does not get contributed back to the source.

Yes I agree with you, it would be nice to transform the whole of OpenACS into the newer standard of css and xhtml.  But the problem is more financial and political rather than technical.