Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Time to evangelize VA Linux

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
is there a reason to choose va linux over, say , penguin computing?  is it an arbitrary slection or is it because VA is supposedly the leading linux box manufacturer?

we bought from penguin because they offered the same box for a good 1k less.  since then, i've seen bsdi.com offers even better prices (hardware.bsdi.com).  i've always thought that openacs is cool because it's the most affordable (free) solution to the most difficult problems.  going with the most expensive linux provider may be the best evangelical decision, but in my opinion not the most consistent.

then again, if it's evangelism that we seek to accomplish, why not sell boxes from openacs.org?  that seems to be the best solution.

even though aD thinks that they're rocket start server is a good deal, i can come up with an even better one.  a stripped down 1U box plus a prepaid year at a place like panix.com in nyc (outstanding ISP and colo joint) also, i'm sure the development team would appreciate the extra cash flow.

i've jsut started with a couple of other guys an openacs dev company in new york city.  i think we would volunteer (tentatively) to broker a lot of these deals.

would it be hard/masochistic to make this happen?

talli