Forum OpenACS Development: Re: danger: HEAD changed for TIP#42,43 - could be unstable

Timo didn't really agree to do internationalization, and IIRC, the TIP explicitly avoided I18 until later.

Perhaps I18 can be added in after his work is complete, stable, and added in?

Yes, I know. And I thought it was not a good idea to not even try to tackle it and I still think it is not a good idea: what good is a solution that ignores one of the fundamental design decisions.

Now that this stuff has been postponed we may at least try to solve I18N.

I will not do i18n for these TIPs. If somebody does have the spare time and energy (Dirk?) please go ahead!
My solution is to add a field to the same table that holds title or name. The effort for this should be near-zero for the person that adds the other fields.

However there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing i18n, we don't have a solution yet, so why discuss who will do it?

Dirk, I totally agree this is important. I just think that process-wise, Timo only agreed to do the first step. Later steps should probably go through the same process (i.e. TIP etc)

I18N is very important -- it's part of what makes OpenACS so strong. But you're right, nobody is really stepping forward to do it.