Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Need help with Site-wide-search and search packages

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,
Maybe a stupid question, but from this discussion it looks like sitewide search does not exist in a presentable format. Neither in oracle nor in Postgress. Why don't take it out of the package manager, untill their is a version that will work upon install, without all the confusion? (or at least put a statemnet in the installation process about the current state of the package?

At each new release I install the packge, and expect it will work, but it doesn't. I guess it's easier for end users not have an option to install.

I understand your enthousiasm, and it would indeed be a great contribution if the would exist. At the same time it would save people a lot of frustration trying to figure out why it doen's work,

Cheers

Ben
p.s Have been playing with 5 for quite some time now, and realy like what you've put yogether, a great job !!!

Ben, oh the various search packages for both PostgreSQL and Oracle seem to work, the open question is how well they each actually work in practice, and what should be done to make them work better.

Btw, I ran the ACS 4.2 Oracle site-wide-search package on a small site for quite a while, and noticed and band-aided various random problems. At some point it just stopped working at all and even though I tried briefly, I never did figure out why. But by then requirements and priorities had changed somewhat and we didn't really need to get it working, so we never did. Perhaps these problems were ultimately due to the flaws Dirk touches on above...