Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: .LRN 2.0.2 release criteria

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
>>You are not going to like it Tracy, but the answer is a clear and sound "Not at all". Noone is managing the packages, we do not have package maintainers and we do not have release criteria for packages.

Ok, I see. So we've identified the real issue!

I think the first step would be to work with OpenACS and help with that area. Al and I have talked about this and I'm "oked" to spend my Sloan time helping with the management with OpenACS packages.

I've been pushing for clarity because I want to do things in a way that makes sense and works for the long term. I want OpenACS to be strong and the OpenACS packages to be strong for everybody, not just .LRN. I think that chances are the same people will be doing the work, but do not want the process to look like .LRN takes over the base development.

Remember, the reason we concluded that .LRN was a vertical application was that we wanted to recognize that it was primarily a marketing effort and not a replacement for the technical community of OpenACS.

So, if the OpenACS would have me, I propose that, as a member of the OpenACS community, I move over to the OpenACS bboards and work on the package management process and getting maintainers....

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
So, if the OpenACS would have me, I propose that, as a member of the OpenACS community, I move over to the OpenACS bboards and work on the package management process and getting maintainers....

I don't think anyone will object to this Tracy. Getting someone to manage the release of packages is really great and much appreciated I'd assume. But let's discuss the management and release cycles over at the OpenACS forum. Looking forward to your announcement there.

Thanks to both you and Al for providing the time to manage OpenACS packages.