Forum .LRN Q&A: releasing .LRN 2.0.2 - status report

Releasing .LRN 2.0.2/OpenACS 5.0.4 has turned into a three-day affair.  Here are the main points:

The fact that .LRN and OpenACS are in different repositories has substantially complicated all tagging and updating work. It is not a trivial thing to work around, and causes problems in many different operations.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Translations:
I had to do some CVS juggling to get the translations loaded properly.  In order to get the correct, released code onto the translation server (and not put buggy HEAD core on it), the files must be updated with the openacs-5-0-compat tag.  However, the updated translation catalog files cannot be committed back to CVS while they are tagged openacs-5-0-compat, so I had to retag them all oacs-5-0 (for core) or HEAD (for the rest) or dotlrn-2-0 (for .LRN) before committing the catalogs.  I also had to add a number of new catalogs to CVS for new language/package combinations.  Then I had to re-update everything back to openacs-5-0-compat to get the newest code so I could upgrade the translation server to the new version.

Version Numbers:
I used a combination of perl and emacs and manual labor to replace the version numbers for all .LRN packages to 2.0.2.

sloan-bboard was copied from bboard, but the version numbers were taken intact.  Since it was at 4.0.2b6, I can't change it to 2.0.2 to match the rest of .lrn.  I set it to 4.0.3.
Several dotlrn packages, the recruiting-related ones, were missing <provides> statements so I added those.

I used a bash/perl statement to change release date on all dotlrn packages and acs-core packages to 2004-03-10

dotlrn-wps wasn't branched properly - I skipped it.  If it's in active use it can be fixed and made part of 2.0.2 later.

I did not re-version any of the OpenACS packages in dotlrn-prereq.  Only calender, which Dirk gave a new version number, will upgrade automatically.  As far as I know, there are no critical bugs in the other packages that must be fixed by upgrade.  These packages all have their own packages numbers independent of core, and developers who work on these packages are responsible for versioning them. At a minimum, you should increment the dot version number each time you put in bug fixes (eg., 2.0.3 becomes 2.0.4).  These version numbers are unrelated to either Core or .LRN.  You should also move the openacs-5-0-compat flag to the new version when you work on these packages.

At this point I believe that all of the CVS files for OpenACS-core and .LRN have the right data, in the right branches, with the right version and release date.  The dotlrn-prereq files, however, have the correct translations on the wrong branch (HEAD instead of oacs-5-0) and until I correct this .LRN 2.0.2 cannot be released.

Mistakes
I had to correct several mistakes that I made as I went along, so if you upgraded from repository between Monday, 8 March 2004, and now, you probably didn't get the new translations.  Hopefully this didn't happen to anybody - it should be fairly easy to fix if it did happen, even on a production system.

Mistake one was that I committed the dotlrn-prereq translations to HEAD instead of oacs-5-0.  The underlying problem is how we manage all of those prereq packages.  They get released in a batch, and they get translated in a batch, but in general we want them to be maintained singly, as Dirk did when he fixed bugs in calendar.  So we need a way for people working on single packages to get the translations out of the server.  I have not yet corrected this problem.

Mistake two was using the /web/translate directory as my working directory for the cvs work, when it also serves the translation server.  This meant that as I moved files back and forth between HEAD and branches, I broke parts of the translation server.  A better approach is probably to clone the translation server and then work from that cloned database on a clean checkout.  However, that may cause inconsistencies in the merging, so another approach may be to work from a cloned file system but use the live database.
  I will try this approach while I correct mistake #1.

Other, corrected, mistakes include not getting the dotlrn translations into dotlrn-2-0 the first time, so for a while there was a 2.0.2 tag, which had new version numbers but not new translations.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Joel, you are awesome. Thanks a lot for taking on this tedious task and documenting everything. I seriously hope we won't face that many problems in the future, especially if we move the .LRN repository to the OpenACS one.
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Man...I admire your persistency. Thank you very much for all the work. Hopefully both repositories will be joined in future.
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I have completed the release process for .LRN 2.0.2 and OpenACS 5.0.4.  I did the following testing:

Installing .LRN 2.0.2 from tarball works fine, and contains all new translations.

Upgrading .LRN 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 via repository works for all packages except dotlrn, which fails: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug%5fnumber=1633
I'm not sure how severe this is, but it may mean that 2.0.2 is a broken release.  I am releasing it anyway because 1) it may be useful for new installs; 2) there may be a workaround for this, and I don't think it corrupts existing installs.

When doing the upgrade route, a few messages in forums and in survey don't get imported.  This is probably because forums and survey weren't re-released - that is, I didn't batch-update the version numbers of all of the dotlrn-prereq packages (the packages in .LRN that aren't either OpenACS core or .LRN proper).  Since the version number is unchanged, the system does not import new translations.  These can be imported manually.

I have updated https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-HEAD/releasing-openacs.html with my notes from this process.

The main complicating factors:
1) I couldn't do bulk CVS operations on either dotlrn-core or dotlrn-prereq - I had to write shell scripts that cd'ed into each directory and ran cvs commands.  Since openacs.org doesn't allow ssh keys, this meant that many operations entailed pasting my password into a running shell script process twenty or thirty times.

2) Since breaking all of the other packages from core, we've simplified core but left unsolved the problem of how to release the other openacs packages.  This meant that I didn't have a firm idea of how to get the translations into all of the dotlrn-prereqs.

3) I don't currently have a way to generate change lists for a CVS branch, so that I can see all files changed between openacs-5.0.0 and openacs-5.0.4.  This would be very helpful in reducing the need for testing - if you know only one file changed, the previous test results are still valid except for things affected by that file.  I tried several packages and got some good results with cvs2cl.pl, but it spontaneously stopped working (spontaneously after a debian upgrade, I think).

4) Changes committed without any testing.  If an upgrade script is committed without being testing, it's safe to assume that it's a broken upgrade script.  If someone does not want to install a previous-version tarball and test the upgrade (a process which takes me about 10 minutes), they can use the upgrade test server (http://test.openacs.org/test/server?path=%2fvar%2flog%2fopenacs%2dinstall%2fcph03%2ecollaboraid%2enet%2dopenacs%2d5%2dup%2dpg%2dinstallreport%2exml).  Log in as an admin via the provide link and then click upgrade (you have to have committed your code, tagged it openacs-5-0-compat, and upped the release number of the package in order for it to show up in install-from-repository.  But you should be doing that anyway.)

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi!

In the University of Valencia we are updated the .LRN 2.0.1 to .LRN
2.0.2 with 40.000 users and 200 classes.

Now, when we go to "My Space" the system takes 6 sg. in showing the page

We are actived the Developer Support and the problem this in the function acs-permissions-cretae.sql

Somebody can help us.

--------Information by Developer Support---------------

4389 ms        dbqd.dotlrn.www.dotlrn-main-
portlet.select_communities: select nsdb0
            select dotlrn_communities_all.*,
                  dotlrn_community__url
(dotlrn_communities_all.community_id) as url,
                  (CASE
                      WHEN
                        dotlrn_communities_all.community_type
= 'dotlrn_community'
                      THEN 'dotlrn_community'