Forum OpenACS Development: Package Installer for ACS 4.0

Collapse
Posted by Bryan Quinn on
Based on feedback from users and redesign thoughts, the package installer of the APM is slated for an overhaul. A proposed requirements document is available: http://acs40.arsdigita.com/doc/acs- kernel/apm/installer-requirements.html. It is currently agnostic on the issue of database interaction. The system itself should not need to do any database commands, but simply provide a framework for other developers to issue those commands and call APIs in other systems that touch the database.

However, this would be a good project to implement the necessary glue so that APM packaes with PostgreSQL SQL and Oracle SQL can work together. I would appreciate thoughts at the requirements level at this time. If anyone wants to help with the design or implementation, I'd appreciate that even more.

The Tcl implementation of this system should be 100% pure Tcl with no SQL or Oracle dependencies. A goal I have for the system is that it work in both ACS 4.0 and OpenACS 4.0. I would like to make it completely open-source in its development process. If you are interested in contributing to the design and implementation of the system, please email me letting me know. I'll setup a public CVS repository with commit rights to those on the team. I will own the requirements document and reserve the right to review and reject any commits.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
This is greatly appreciated (though I'm not going to look at it tonight, seeing as it's about bedtime for this early riser).  The database agnosticism you're suggesting is of course of great help to the OpenACS project, so I look forward to reading the spec and providing feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, I'm ready to read it ... right now.  Oops, the URL provided in Bryan's post is broken! :)

Where did it go to?  I'm still interested in taking a look at this.

I'd appreciate the new URL when you have a moment to post, TIA.

Collapse
Posted by Bryan Quinn on
Its back.  The server changed to a new CVS tag, but the document didn't make it 😟.  Thanks for the report!
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
seems to still be busted.