Forum OpenACS Q&A: Problems downloading OpenACS source

Collapse
Posted by Geoff Caplan on
Hi folks

I am having difficulty downloading the OpenACS source file from this
site - according to my logs over 20 attempts have failed.

I am downloading over a relatively slow dialup connection, and it
looks as if the download is timing out at your end. I would be
grateful if someone could fix this, as I am keen to take a look at
the code.

Thanks

Geoff Caplan
British Goldsmiths

Collapse
Hi

Finally got the download to complete. If someone fixed it, thanks. If not, perhaps you would like to review your system - I think something is amiss. I am having similar problems downloading from the AD site, so perhaps this could be looked at as well...

Finally, it would be good if you could support the download restart feature on many download managers. So far as I can see, this is not available on your servers. I find that around 95% of sites now offer this.

Collapse
Posted by Sebastiano Pilla on
Finally got the download to complete. If someone fixed it, thanks. If not, perhaps you would like to review your system - I think something is amiss. I am having similar problems downloading from the AD site, so perhaps this could be looked at as well...

Since this problem is common to the OpenACS and the aD sites, I'd point to AOLServer as the cause. I've experienced the same problem, and only after repeated attempts I was able to download what I wanted.

Perhaps there is a configuration option for AOLServer to make it behave better with slow connections; I hope that the solution doesn't involve hacking the source...
Collapse
So it looks as if this is a fairly general problem.

I do hope that the 'powers that be' will take a look at this. Downloading the source will be most people's first contact with the platform, and if they experience problems it must surely damage their confidence in what is being offered...