Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Business grade OACS hosting/managed services?

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Thanks everyone for the replies.  It sounds like there's something of a market gap in the space between DIY/hobbyist-level hosting and enterprise-class managed services.

Torben, I like the idea of a global alliance to address this need, and I would be interested in participating.  I will have to think about that one a bit.

Don, I'm in Los Angeles, and I had a server in one of the big data centers downtown.  I spent some time setting it up to be secured and stable, and at first it was running fine without much intervention.  Then I had my first security incident.

I was told that my server had consumed a couple hundred dollars worth of extra bandwidth, but it wasn't from any of the sites or services I had running.  I still don't know what happened, although I eventually concluded that someone may have actually physically plugged into my port and hijacked my bandwidth.  Fortunately they decided not to charge me for the overage.  But I had spent an enormous amount of time investigating the issue and subsequently monitoring traffic and bandwidth consumption.

All along I felt like I wasn't properly maintaining the box, because I didn't have time.  Out of necessity I was following the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" management philosophy, and it felt pretty risky.

Mike, I don't think I'm quite in your price range yet, although it may come to that.  I guess I'm hoping to find more of an SMB (small to medium-sized business)-class alternative.  So far my sites are pretty low-traffic/bandwidth, but they need better performance and reliability than I've been getting.  Are your services/prices based on dedicated servers?

Does anyone have experience running on ODSOL's VPS service?  I'm not familiar with virtual server environments, so I'm not sure if the RAM/CPU allocations are adequate for a production OACS site.