Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS/apache -- apologize for the quick releases!

I apologize for releasing 3 versions of the new OpenACS/Apache RPM's today. [hey, that's open source, right -- release early & often 😊]

The only difference between them is the documentation, and in 1.0.2, i've included a bash script that automatically installs all of the RPMs (so you don't have to hover over the machine), and gives you the elapsed installation time when it's finished.

If you've already installed 1.0 or 1.0.1, you won't gain anything by downloading the latest.

So far, the record low installation time using the bash script for the machines here @ aD was 8 minutes, on a celeron with 128 megs of RAM & generic IDE drive. RH 6.2. (that includes apache|pg|openacs install & loading of the data model.)

Certainly an improvement!

That's very cool, Adam.  What else can I say?
Release early and often is preferred and probably the reason you reissued the new releases.  Thank you very much and no need to apologize. Its good to see AD continue its efforts for the community.
Dear Adam,

I downloaded the rpm and run the install.sh and I didnt see anything (like installing or finshed installed)..but when I tried to install manually it showed already installed..cool..but lynx http://localhost:8000 is giving "cant access startfile "..I tried with Ip address too....any suggestions

babji

Babji -- it should tell you when the installation is over, and give you an elapsed installation time.

What type of system are you installing on (what version of Red Hat?)

Is it a new installation? is apache already installed? how about postgres? (having the packages already installed can screw things up.)

thanks.

thanks for quick reply..
I am using Redhat 6.2 and I installed it couple of days back with "custom installation" option..(I followed philip greenspun's installation guide)I am sure that postgre and apache were not there when I installed rpm...now how can I check/remove apache and postgre
To remove any existing packages, do:

# rpm -e openacs
# rpm -e postgresql
# rpm -e apache

If it complains that you can't remove a package because others depend on it (for example, you can't remove postgresql because postgresql-server depends on it), then remove the pieces that depend on the package that you are trying to remove.

A pain, but rpm does this for your own protection 😊

Ok..when I tried to remove apache..i found its not installed at all but postgreSQl is installed...anyhow I manually installed apache but for the final command I got "hostname :unknown host scritping failed "
and when I started apache ..its saying "apache couldnt determine the servers fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for server name"
I guess some thing is wrong with the network settings..thanks for your time....
Babji
Dear Adam,
thanks for your help..my openACS is working fine..but when I tried to setup education module, this is what I got from /admin/education...

registered_proc blew up --- backtrace follows:
Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")
    while executing
"ns_db select $db "select department_name, department_id from edu_departments order by lower(department_name)""
    invoked from within
"set selection [ns_db select $db "select department_name, department_id from edu_departments order by lower(department_name)"]"
    (file "/var/opt/www/cashew/www/admin/education/index.tcl" line 30)
    invoked from within
"source $ad_conn(file)"
    (procedure "ad_handle_abstract_url" line 67)
    invoked from within
"ad_handle_abstract_url conn {}"Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")
    while executing
"ns_db select $db "select department_name, department_id from edu_departments order by lower(department_name)""
    invoked from within
"set selection [ns_db select $db "select department_name, department_id from edu_departments order by lower(department_name)"]"
    (file "/var/opt/www/cashew/www/admin/education/index.tcl" line 30)
    invoked from within
"source $ad_conn(file)"
    (procedure "ad_handle_abstract_url" line 67)
    invoked from within
"ad_handle_abstract_url conn {}"

I read from  /doc/education that the education module is not finshed yet,... is there any way I can get the updated one / or when it will be available...

Thank you very much for the packages. This is great work and effort, I really appreciated, I got the following errors when I try to install the 1.0.3 version
<error>
error: failed dependencies: libreadline.so.3 is needed by postgresql-7.0.3-1
error: failed dependencies: postgresql = 7.0.3 is needed by postgresql-server-7.0.3-1 libpq.so is needed by postgresql-server-7.0.3-1 libreadline.so.3 is needed by postgresql-server-7.0.3-1
error: failed dependencies: postgresql = 7.0.3 is needed by postgresql-tcl-7.0.3-1 libpq.so is needed by postgresql-tcl-7.0.3-1 libreadline.so.3 is needed by postgresql-tcl-7.0.3-1 libtcl8.0.so is needed by postgresql-tcl-7.0.3-1
error: failed dependencies: postgresql = 7.0.3 is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.3-1 libreadline.so.3 is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.3-1 ./install.sh: /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql: No such file or directory Installing mm-1.1.3-ad1.src.rpm
</error>
Do you know where can I get those dependencies
<error>
error: cannot open file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/mm-1.1.3-ad1.i386.rpm: No such file or directory
error: cannot open file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/tcl-8.3.2-ad1.i386.rpm: No such file or directory
Installing apache-1.3.14-ad1.src.rpm
error: failed build dependencies:
postgresql-devel >= 7.0.3 is needed by apache-1.3.14-ad1 mm >= 1.1.3-ad1 is needed by apache-1.3.14-ad1 tcl >= 8.3.2-ad1 is needed by apache-1.3.14-ad1
error: cannot open file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/apache-1.3.14-ad1.i386.rpm: No such file or directory
error: cannot open file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/openacs-3.2.4-ad1.noarch.rpm: No such file or directory ./install.sh: /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache: No such file or directory
</error>
I am using Linux Mandrake so I guess I only need to create a /redhat/ RPMS/noarch folders and cp the needed files there am I correct ?
<fun>
-----------------------
Installation completed!
-----------------------
Total elapsed installation time: 22 minutes.
To test your OpenACS system, type:
lynx http://yourhostname:8000
</fun>
Wow! it took me the whole day to build Apache, PHP, MySQL from source. I tried to uninstall the packages and I got this errors message
<error>
[root@localhost openacs]# rpm -e openacs postgresql apache
error: package openacs is not installed
error: package postgresql is not installed
error: package apache is not installed
[root@localhost openacs]#
</error>
Is this mean nothing is being installed ? Thank you very much again. I will try some others way
Phamo