Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: SCORM dev update

Collapse
24: Re: SCORM dev update (response to 1)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Ernie,

I read your paper about ADL SCORM implementation for OpenACS at WEG and threads you are maintaining here in this forums. That's all great and thank you and others with you about it.

I meet people here in Brazil that aims to change from webCT and elearning standards are very required for them and I agree they're right. They'are evaluating moodle (moodle.org) and Atutor(atutor.ca) at now so I propose dotLRN too :) because I think dotLRN is a great solution to overcome some shortcuts about other elearnig implementations providing the best infrastructure I have seen to developing applications and services. Unhappyly dotLRN is not so popular here in Brazil as php/mysql is . I hope this situation changes and we are working for it :)

I am preparing some wimpy point presentations for them in a dotLRN2.0rc1 instalattion we maintain for studying and research purposes. I'm setting up a new instalation from CVS HEAD to work with oacs-dav (webDAV) and I think your packages RAMDOM and LORS could sound good for some discussions about standards in OpenACS, isnt it?

I'm not reaching url you cited in this thread and packages still not in CVS. How could I obtain them?

Yours
Orzenil

Collapse
25: Re: SCORM dev update (response to 24)
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Bon dia Orzenil,

Let me see if I can address all your comments here.

Importing webCT packages to .LRN

I have done some testing importing webCT 4.1.x IMS packages into .LRN.  However, there's a lot of tweaking required as their export fuction has proven, at best, fairly poor. For start webCT 4.1.x doesn't allow you to export full courses (unlike their previous version 3.x!). Let that aside, you can only export two types of content: quizzes and content modules.  Moreover, in several ocassions I have had packages missing files (although they were described on the organization of the package -imsmanifest.xml file- as existing!

Unfortunately, it does not export users information, neither course settings, which is quite a limitation.

At any rate, if most of your courses in webCT have a lot of content modules, you'll be able to export those and then -hopefully- import them seamlessly into .LRN using the LORS libraries.

Atutor

I haven't had much exposure to Atutor, although I have read it has a strong support for IMS specifications and good authoring tools as well. It export content in according to SCORM 1.2 specs (and it seems that they adhiere scrictly to them -which is good), so you can import those easily with the LORs libraries. Although, take into account that only exports content. It won't export forums,

Moodle

I'm not so sure about its compliance to standards. Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodle) it says that it complies with IMS QTI.

I have tested Moodle before and I have to say I was impressed in many ways with it. First, it is a debian package, so you can install it on a fly. Second, it is a system that revolves around the student and his/her experience: therefore it is quite intuitive. For example, their discussion forums have a picture of all people posting messages there. I'm not a learning or community guru here, but that gave me the impression of a nice community feeling.

Actually, I would encorage people in the community to have a look at it, as it is always good to see other perspectives and approaches.

Random and LORS package

Random, as I mentioned before, it's just an example on how to use LORS libraries. I would strongly suggest you not to use if for any production purposes without previously tayloring. They can both be found here:

Random:
http://mlweg.pc.ee.usyd.edu.au:8080/files/view/20040309_random.tgz

LORS:
http://mlweg.pc.ee.usyd.edu.au:8080/files/view/lors_v01.tgz

I hope that helps,

Ernie

Collapse
26: Re: SCORM dev update (response to 25)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello guys,
two things FYI, at Galileo University and as part of E-LANE project:
* we'll start to provide a debian package of .LRN & openacs, I'll make an official announcement when we have it ready.
* our actual ACES UI includes integration of *user photo* into several packages, including the forum threads, so our plan is to have the same functionality for .LRN since we'll migrate quite soon.

And of course, keep looking about what others are doing, is always a must in order to keep in the market.

Collapse
27: Re: SCORM dev update (response to 25)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Bom dia Ernie,

Thank you for your comments. I got yours lors/random package and I'm going to install them. I'm reading about Adam Ullman RTE implementation now.

I'm going to install atutor to see how lors works on importing content exported from it.

Moodle is still a little confuse to me about SCORM implementation. At moodle.org I saw that version 1.2.1 offers support to import quizzes in webCT format but they say nothing about SCORM (see: http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=features.html). There's a company at moodle.com that offers enhances moodle with  support for SCORM packaged learning object at charged (about US$15000).

Anyway I will continue reading about SCORM and dotlrn implementations. Maybe me and people in the company I work could help you and community in the brief future (at leat at user case level).

Orzenil

Collapse
28: Re: SCORM dev update (response to 27)
Posted by anahita ariannia on
hello

wwould you let me know if you use moodle as a faq whitout login?