Forum OpenACS Q&A: Upgrading OpenACS and PostgreSQL

Collapse
Posted by Bob Powell on
Hi everyone,

I am currently using OpenACS version 4.6.  I am also using the 7.2 branch of PostgreSQL. The custom application I am running on this system has been flawless for the past year and a half but it has come time to upgrade. I'm starting to get behind the curve.

I am very interested in the fact that the 5.0 version of OpenACS supports LDAP.  This is something I would like to implement at my site. I have also been testing my database app on the 7.3 branch of PostgreSQL without any problems.

I would like to upgrade from my current version of OpenACS and Postgres to the 5.0 branch of OpenACS and the 7.3.x of Postgres.  Where might I find the quintessential documentation  for completing this process?  Is anyone using this combination of Postgres and OpenACS?  How was your experience?

I've noticed that there seems to be some changes in the way the templating system now handles forms in 5.0.  I want to be sure that I don't break anything in the process of the upgrade. My system has been so incrediably stable that I don't want to create an unstable situation.  At the very least, I would like to be able to determine the potential issues before attempting this upgrade.  What's the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Upgrading from 4.6 to 5.0 is more complicated than is typical for OpenACS, due mostly to the changes in the authentication system that allow for external authentication (i.e. LDAP).

Here's an entire thread on the process.

Regarding changes in form handling, what you're probably noticing is that the standard template for forms built by the template form engine has changed. Most of us find the new template more aesthetic and it also flags required fields. It shouldn't impact your application's functionality, though, just the standard look.

5.1 is coming out soon, we're in beta and it looks like our release candidate #1 will come out in a few days. You may want to practice upgrading from 4.6-5.0 then additionally explore upgrading to 5.1. If you do, I'd recommend you upgrade PG to 7.4.2. Might as well switch to AOLserver 4, too, if you've not already.

But of course only after a bunch of testing :) You'll be skipping major versions of both OpenACS and PG!