Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Announcement: .LRN Spring Meeting in Heidelberg (2004)

Since this will be my first International trip, I have a few questions for you seasoned travelers....

How much money should I bring along?  Cash, traveler's checks?  How plentiful are ATMs?  I have already verified with my bank that my ATM card will work, and I have the big three credit cards as well.

What sort of weather should we be prepared for?

We hear that "everyone in Europe speaks English these days" but I suppose that's not universally true.  If I need to ask directions, find a bathroom :), etc, how likely am I to be able to do that in English?

How long does it typically take from plane landing to picking up luggage when we return?  How much screening are they doing on this end?

Any other travel wisdom to share?

Nice to see you getting out. 😉

<blockquote>How much money should I bring along?  Cash, traveler's checks? 
</blockquote>

Enough to get to Heidelberg (by train) and get out of trouble if you need too (50-100 Euro cash should do it). You can buy your train tickets with credit card in Germany.

<blockquote>How plentiful are ATMs? 
</blockquote>

All over the place (but know the pin numbers: the order of the alphabet on the numeric key pad is different or missing all together -> friend of mine who spelled his PIN out using the alphabet and caused his card to be blocked by messing up more than twice in  a row)

<blockquote>I have already verified with my bank that my ATM card will work, and I have the big three credit cards as well.
</blockquote>

You should be fine. Plentiful ATMs make traveler's checks more of a hassle than a help.

<blockquote>What sort of weather should we be prepared for?
</blockquote>

Spring weather. Sunny, possible spring rain shower, cool, not cold.

<blockquote>We hear that "everyone in Europe speaks English these days" but I suppose that's not universally true.  If I need to ask directions, find a bathroom :), etc, how likely am I to be able to do that in English?
</blockquote>

Very likely (also: English is just a German dialect anyway so you should be fine).

<blockquote>Any other travel wisdom to share?
</blockquote>

Take as little as possible with you and do not panic, things tend to work out here too.