Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to portals broken in 3.2.4?

Collapse
Posted by Bob Fuller on
Whenever I update any portal, ACS 3.2.4 updates the portal ok, but at the same time it deletes the contents of the other portals! I can replicate this as often as I want.

-- Jowell Sabino, September 28, 2000

I was wondering what was going on! I figured out how to create my own portal tables, ones that actually work, but the code currently only lets you work with one portal at a time, because something in the program logic is deleting! all the other portal mappings besides the one that's currently being updated.

The problem probably has to do with the following code, located in manage-portal-2.tcl:

# DRB: I moved this in front of the two following delete statements for a reason
# Due to the fact that the bleeping education module stuffs rows into new portal
# pages behind our backs, PG won't allow the delete because it breaks checking
# for referential integrity.  Does this suck or what?

ns_db dml $db "end transaction"
The code in question is followed by a series of deletes that basically looks like it guts all the good work that all of our other busy portal-creators have achieved to date. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind the program logic is, but as per the comments in the listing above, it apparently has something to do with the education module -- which, by the way, is one of those modules that does not work out of the box anyway!