Forum OpenACS Q&A: Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'

After a new install I'm getting closer to making it work. When I try
to log into psql I get an error -> Is the postmaster running at
'localhost'
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Sounds like you're not running the postmaster, or that you started it
with "-i" to specify an IP and aren't starting psql in the same way.

Do a ps to see if postmaster's running.  If not, login as your
postgres user and start up the postmaster.

Collapse
Posted by jeff reed on
How do I start the postmaster? And is there a way to make this happen automatically?

Thanks for your help

Collapse
Posted by jeff reed on
OK, after running the command postmaster start I recieve the following error -> /usr/bin/postmaster does not know where to find the database system data. You must specify...

Sorry I don't know more about this stuff. Any Ideas on how to straighten out this Postmaster thing?

Collapse
Posted by jeff reed on
I think I understand a bit more now. I know that postgrsql runs as postmaster. I read the postgresql file in /etc/rc.d/init.d,

however, I'm still unclear what I need to do. I think I need to specify the location of the database system data. I probaly need to change the path. But where?

It looks like your Postgress installation is a bit broken. How did you install it (from RPMS, compiled from the source)? Did you install it over older version of Postgress? Did you make any configuration changes? What OS/Postgress version are you running?

Trying to make work sth. that is broken is usally more difficult than starting over so your best bet could be just removing Postgress and re-installing it from scratch. I myself don't know almost anything about Postgress yet I've installed it succesfully a few times from RPMS (rpm -ihv postgress*.rpm). It takes care of everything.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Specifically, read the installation instructions and follow them
precisely.  Among other things you need to set PGDATA in the
environment or specify it via the command line.

Did you do an "initdb" on the database after install?  Did you do a
"createuser" for your OpenACS database user?

Collapse
Posted by jeff reed on
I think I read the instrustions, there wasn't much. All I did was run the install.sh. That's it. What intructions should I follow inconjuction with the new RPM's?
Read a bit about rpm (e.g., man rpm). Then download rpms for your distribution (e.g., from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0.3/RPMS/). The simplest way to install them would be:
rpm -ihv postgresql*
but you should really get familiar with rpm and basic Unix sysadmining first.

If you install from sources read the admin guide (i.e., http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/admin/installation.htm)