Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Debian stable or testing? apt-get or yum? etc.

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
My pc now runs debian.
Thanks again to Joel for the Knoppix advice: that was the very base for me. I wouldn't have dared to make any move without that lifesaver cd.

I then tried and burned many different disks from the debian site (and others): they all went to the rubbish bin after some weeks and many efforts.

Thanks to Jade: "There are a lot of alternative ways of installing debian, though, so sometimes people who think Debian is hard to install just haven't tried one of the easy ways..."

I looked for something easy and found it at the end: Libranet.
You just start Knoppix, download Libranet 2.7 and a few minutes later debian is installed.
They say it is 100% debian woody: I do not know how to check myself, so I trust them.

Now it is time to try and see whether there is a way to install OpenACS.
I recently gave a look an the documentation: very complicated, convoluted, lots of different software, far from being easy. I will try, anyway.
If somebody knows of an easy way to install OpenACS, please let me know.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Just what are all the (different) better ways of installing Debian? (The default Debian installer may be wonderfully cross platform, but it's absurd lack of good hardware detection on x86 pretty much sucks.) Is there any kind of list or review of alternative installers somewhere?

Libranet sounds interesting, but there don't seem to be any docs available on the web, and it's not really clear what you end up with once you're installed. AKA, can you easily update from the official Debian package repositories, or are you locked into Libranet somehow?

There's more helpful Debian install info in the Jan. 2004 Best Configuration in Debian for Openacs Development thread.