Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Extending ad_form for assessment ?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I don't think any of this has to do with ad_form, as Jeff says. Any enhancements belong in the form builder.

To arrange items I was thiniking of a simple grouping idea. So you would just define a group id for form elements, and all items with certain group_id would appear together.

I think the "stlyes" you are talking about are form templates. I don't see any reason to do this another way, we already have a built in way to address styling of forms through the form template feature.

We need to take this up with the object attribute system, and the effort to normalize the object attribute/ad_page_contract/form builder attributes and validation.

So anything that is added to form builder should be first to support the definiton of attributes for objects and their relation to form elements, and then the assessment could take advantage of that, even though an assessment question won't be an object type.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I realized after talking to Dave and Jeff on IRC that we should, if at all, extend the form builder, not ad_form.
Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Malte,

I applaude that decission. Ad_form started out as a convenience hack on top of form builder. My impression is that is being overloaded with too many bells and whistles. Last time I tried ad_form I immediately ran into usability issues.

So kudos for fixing the form builder. The strength of OpenACS is in the modular architecture and not in all encompassing APIs like ad_form.

My 2 cents.

/Bart