Forum OpenACS Q&A: Minor fix in /admin/gp/one-table.tcl

Collapse
Posted by Bob Fuller on
I was playing around with General Permissions, and stumbled on a minor bug fix in /admin/gp/one-table.tcl:
if { $rownum_first_this_page == "1" } { set selection [ns_db select $db " select [join $column_name_list ","] from $denorm_view_name limit [expr $rownum_last_this_page - $rownum_first_this_page + 1] "] } else { set selection [ns_db select $db " select [join $column_name_list ","] from $denorm_view_name limit [expr $rownum_last_this_page - $rownum_first_this_page + 1] offset $rownum_first_this_page "]
instead of:
set selection [ns_db select $db "
    select [join $column_name_list ","]
      from $denorm_view_name
     limit [expr $rownum_last_this_page - $rownum_first_this_page + 1]
    offset $rownum_first_this_page
"]
For some reason, when you're on the first page of selections (i.e., $rownum_first_this_page == "1"), if you use offset $rownum_first_this_page, the first row doesn't get displayed in the output.

Collapse
Posted by Ravi Gadad on
the reason for this is that offset doesn't begin its index at "1".. it starts at "0." therefore, in order to start from the first row, you have to offset 0. the best solution to this bug is not to create an if statement, but rather to change
offset $rownum_first_this_page
to
offset [expr $rownum_first_this_page - 1]
that way the offset is correct for all pages. given the first solution provided, one row would always be missing on subsequent pages, which is obviously undesirable.
Collapse
Posted by Bob Fuller on
Yes, you're absolutely right!

In the process of verifying your suggestion, I also discovered an easy way to fake an OUTER JOIN in a postgresql VIEW. As you know, outer joins in postgresql have to be done as some sort of UNION statement, and, as it turns out, according to error messages I got, the use of unions in postgresql views is not supported yet.

In order to make /admin/gp stuff work, by way of the example that comes with Open ACS, you'll see that for each table you want to do general permissions on, you need a "denormalized view" of that table. The example that comes pre-packaged with Open ACS is the fs_versions table, which has a corresponding view called FS_VERSIONS_DENORM_VIEW. In the Open ACS 3.2.4 model, the table used to do the lookup for that "denormalized view" name (via the table that corresponds to it) is general_table_metadata.

So, in order to get any of the general permissions stuff in /admin/gp to work, it's necessary to:

1. Create a new entry for the table and view in general_table_metadata.
  2. Create a view named like the "denorm_view_name" column in your new row in general_table_metadata.
    (The convention is {TABLENAME}_DENORM_VIEW.)
In order to get the CHAT_ROOMS_DENORM_VIEW to work, I had to "fake" an outer join between chat_rooms.group_id and user_groups.group_id, since, in this view, I decided I wanted to display the group_name (or null, in the case of null group_id's). My way of doing this was to use "CASE", as follows, in the select statement:
case when chat_rooms.group_id is not null
  then user_groups.group_name
  else null end as group_name
and then to use the following join:
WHERE ((chat_rooms.group_id = user_groups.group_id) OR (chat_rooms.group_id is null AND user_groups.group_id = 1));
The filter on user_groups.group_id, in "chat_rooms.group_id is null AND user_groups.group_id = 1", is required in order to "fake" the join; otherwise, you get much more data than you expect for the rows having null group_id's.

I wouldn't be surprised if this way of "faking" outer joins isn't more or less applicable across the board.