Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Importing, Managing and Delivering Courses Using IMS Specifications out for Testing!

Ernie...how easy is it to upload a new version of an existing course in dotlrn?

In my opinion no new versions should be created but the old one should be deleted completely and replaced by the new uploaded course.

What do you think?

Hi Nima,

<blockquote> Ernie...how easy is it to upload a new version of an
existing course in dotlrn?
</blockquote>

Very easy, just upload the new file, change the name of the directory to add it to, and it's done 😉

Since LORS re-uses file-storage's functionality, and the fs uses the CR, then you get all the perks of file-storage and CR... in this case: versioning. So say you uploaded a course but then you changed your material, you can just go to the file-storage folder where it was uploaded and upload the new modify file (creating a new revision of the file). After that, students taking the course will only see the latest version of the modified file (although the older version is still there).

So if what you need to do is just modifications of the course content, you can use file-storage to add new revisions of your files.

If you have developed a new version of a course, I think it makes sense to add it as you add a new course.

Future work could include versioning of courses, but I'm thinking whether that is actually necessary or practically feasible. Would some require to have several versions of the same course?  Anyone wants to contribute here?

BTW, I'll try to see if I can get a delete course option in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Ernie